One important part of the sale process is the Channel Mix. The Channel Mix of a hotel includes many different channels, and each hotel has a different method to distribute depending on business strategy and sale policy. We can categorize the channel by offline and online.
- Property direct (walk-in guests)
- Call center / Reservation center
- Travel Agent (TA), wholesale for the MICE
- Website, Facebook
- OTA – Online Travel Agent such as booking.com, agoda, expedia, traveloka, etc
- Metasearch: search platform and compare price and availability of hotels. Google Hotel, trivago, and TripAdvisor are the top typical metasearch.
- GDS – Global Distribution System. Mostly used for the large hotel with business customers, rarely seen at small hotels.
- Opaque: is the platform where price being discounted largely (30 – 60%). The price and product in the opaque distribution channel are hidden from customers to not be seen as cheap, which is harmful to the hotel’s brand.