This invention describes a design for the development of an instrumented rock bolt (smart bolt) for monitoring the stability of underground openings in mining applications.
In commercial mining operations, safety and efficiency are of utmost importance. To maintain a safe and effective mining operation, it is critical to monitor the stability and state of openings and stress spots.
The inventors have designed a “smart bolt” that will have new abilities to collect data that can measure localized stresses and strain, detect corrosion, and survey for potential vibration and seismic events.
- Smart bolt to be used in mining operations
- Evaluate rock mass deformation and movement in response to changing mining conditions
- Measure localized stresses and strains
- Detect corrosion
- Work as an acoustic sensor to measure vibrations and seismic events
- Improves safety at mining sites
- Gives insightful data to benefit mining operations
- Could be easily incorporated into an existing mining operations
TTO Home Page: https://arizona.technologypublisher.com
Name: Brett Mortenson
Title: Licensing Manager, College of Engineering