- A new portable hyperbaric oxygen hood â featuring a smart controller fine-tuned for each patient's health status â offers a safer way for hospital practitioners to give severely ill Covid-19 patients life-saving oxygen, decreasing the need for mecha
- Comprised of an air-tight head and neck hood and an intelligent controller, the portable system solves the logistics challenge of having to move unstable or highly infectious patients to a hospital's multi-unit hyperbaric oxygen chamber
- Because of its small size and ease of use, medical staff can quickly decompress the system to access the patient in a medical emergency
Addressing the Shortcomings of HBOTherapy
Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy dramatically increases oxygen in the blood and tissues while stimulating antioxidant defenses, making it a promising treatment for COVID-19 and other serious respiratory illnesses, especially since it can prevent the need for mechanical ventilation. However, moving infectious patients from ICUs to an HBO chamber increases clinician exposure risk. HBO therapy is also costly and limits patient access, underscoring the need for a better point-of-care option.
A Smart, Portable HBO Therapy Solution
The Portable HBO (PHBO) hood is a safer, ergonomic and cost-effective way to deliver therapy to patients suffering from COVID-19 or generalized and regional hypoxia caused by heartattack, stroke, blood clot, or trauma resulting in blood loss. The PHBO has an interlocking, air-tight head and neck hood, two gloved portals, and virucidal ultraviolet irradiation. The system measures respiratory rate, pressures, flow, SPO2 and capnography. Deep learning algorithms provide an intelligent model for the best operating conditions for each patient.
The PHBO hood offers clear logistical advantages for seriously ill Covid-19 patients while enhancing the safety of clinical staff charged with their care, and the portability of this device could dramatically expand the use of hyperbaric oxygen to many more patients with regional or global ischaemia/hypoxia.
Safe: Delivers HBO therapy at patient point of care, making it a safer option for both patients and caregivers in COVID-19 ICU settings
Affordable: Offers a more economical option to deliver HBO therapy, compared with exposing the entire body to oxygen in a large multi-unit chamber
Convenient: Enables easy patient access and ensures ongoing caregiver interaction by design, including the ability to quickly decompress the system to treat the patient in an emergency
Improved Outcomes: May decrease the need for mechanical ventilation and ventilators in certain patient groups, including reducing the degree of dead tissue from lack of oxygen during a heart attack or stroke
Intelligent: Includes a smart interface that helps to ensure personalized care by providing continuous data about patient respiratory status through a controller that leverages deep learning algorithms fine-tuned to the patient’s health status
The key application of the PHBO hood is in-hospital intensive care units for Covid-19 patients. It serves as destination therapy for certain patient groups, decreasing the need for mechanical ventilation and ventilators, or provide an additional step in respiratory supportive therapy between NIV and mechanical ventilation. This hood also opens up HBO therapy for patients with:
- Air or gas embolism
- Anemia or severe blood loss
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Fire burns and skin grafts
- Soft tissue or bone marrow
Name : Salwan Abou Salem
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : +974 4454 7454