- Technology Readiness Level : Prototype System Verified
- Technology Validation : The Purdue technology is much less time-intensive than manual modelling of bridges. In testing of six bridges from the initial step of uploading the 2D PDF to receiving a completed 3D CAD model, the method required an average of 10
Researchers at Purdue University have developed software systems and methods for creating 3D models of bridges from uploaded 2D PDF drawings. Currently, Building Information Modeling (BIM) is completed manually on CAD software. Manual CAD bridge modeling is time-intensive; modeling one bridge takes approximately 5 hours for an experienced bridge engineer. The Purdue technology is much less time-intensive. In testing of six bridges from the initial step of uploading the 2D PDF to receiving a completed 3D CAD model, the method required an average of 10 minutes, 43 seconds. This software can help engineers quickly create 3D renderings of new bridges or create a maintenance schedule for existing bridges.
- Provides accurate 3D renderings
- Converts the 3D models into industry foundation classes (IFC) files
- Creating 3D models of bridges
Name: Matthew R Halladay